Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Basics: Pizza Crust to Build Flavors On!

I want to take a minute and apologize for not posting recently. I’m a teacher by trade, and with summer vacation comes the search for summer work, which then leads to my working over an hour away from home.

On top of working, my Mister and I have been trying to squeeze in small vacations here and there, enjoying a little bit of the summer.  With that impact on my time and schedule, it’s really hard to cook frequently, much less have time to post. However, that doesn’t mean I haven’t been missing you all. Really, I have.

So to make it up to all of you, I’m going to post a favorite staple at the Estrada home – pizza dough. This isn’t the first pizza dough I’ve put on this blog, but it is a rising crust recipe that can be developed and tailored to your preferences.



I like my dough simple, while Matt likes his with a stuffed crust and butter/garlic coating before he bakes it. Whatever your preference is, start with this basic recipe, and build it to your personal enjoyment. I hope you have a wonderful day!



Beautifully Basic Pizza Dough



1 packet dry yeast
1 cup warm water (it should feel warm enough to bathe in)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 ½ cups flour

  • Pour your water into a medium sized bowl, then sprinkle the yeast onto the water.



  • Pour in the sugar and give the mixture a small stir. You’ll notice the yeast will start to bloom after a few minutes. Allow it to stand for about 5 minutes, then add the salt.


  • Stir in one of the cups of flour, making sure the mixture is completely smooth. Add your remaining flour in small increments, until all of the flour is absorbed. 


  • If you are using a mixer, 6 minutes on medium speed with your dough hook should do it. If you are using your hands, wash them with cold water and knead for about 10 minutes, or until you do not feel lumps.


  • Roll your dough into a ball, cover with a clean towel and allow it to sit for 30-40 minutes in your warm kitchen.
 
Nice neat ball, before. 
Beautiful dough, nearly 40 minutes later.

  • Divide your dough into two even portions (each portion is enough for a medium-sized pizza). If you are going to only use one of the portions, tightly wrap one of the dough balls and place in the fridge. What you do use can be flattened into traditional pizza sizes at this point. 


  • Now it's time to build your pizza to your preference! Use your favorite toppings, sauces and crust ideas.

We made barbecue chicken pizza. It's SUPPOSED to be a dark sauce, I promise. 

  • Bake 450 degrees for 15-17 minutes, based on how crispy you want your crust.  (Note: If you have put a lot of toppings on your pizza, you will need to add time to your baking.)




No comments:

Post a Comment